Piano Week

Andrew & Alex started piano lessons last week. In an attempt to add to their excitement, we had PIANO WEEK at our house.

What might you ask is Piano Week?

Well, it’s just a week of activities I thought up or found which dealt with music. This was an attempt to give a little structure to our summer days. The focus being on little.

Here’s PIANO WEEK:

Visited: a piano store and received a tour by a very enthusiastic employee

Created: Alex created a power point about John Williams while Andrew made a poster. I originally thought they would choose Beethoven or Mozart but once we stumbled upon John Williams there was no turning back. One morning we spent over an hour watching him conduct on You Tube.

Read Books: 1. Beethoven – A Value Tales book 2. Duke Ellington by Andrea Davis Pinkney  3. Ludwig van Beethoven by Eric Summerer  4. Keyboards by Wendy Lynch

Made: Thumb pianos – directions found here

Listened: to a Mixed Classical CD from Target in the car all week

Food: We ate SHARP cheese, ate BACHli (I’ll be honest – Derek and I are the only ones who ate the broccoli), talked about fish SCALES while we ate fish sticks, and planned to make cinnamon FLATbread but never got around to it.

We also made dessert PIANOS compliments of Alex. We used ice cream bars but white Kit Kats bars would make prefect piano keys.

Movies: We watched the movie Beethoven with Charles Grodin and Bonnie Hunt. Yes I know it has nothing to do with music but the kids loved it.

We capped off the week with a trip to eat ice cream at Braum’s (BRAHM). I wanted to finish up the week at a piano bar but Derek thought otherwise.

We had some LOWS and HIGHs during piano week but overall it was enjoyable. The boys have enthusiastically practiced piano everyday since their first lesson and can’t wait to find out what this week’s activities will focus on.

What fun things are you doing this summer?

Photobucket
Todays Creative Blog

This entry was posted in activities, Alex, Andrew, books, budget, crafts, food, movies, music, organization, parenting, piano, recipes, summer. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Piano Week

1. Kelly says:

very nice and so creative! Mom told me the piano is heading your way this week! Hopefully your kids will be more creative than any of us ever where.

2. Lesa says:

I’m glad I found your blog. I’m a piano teacher and have a music blog. I love your ideas about piano week!!

3. This is an awesome treat! I am pinning it to my board on Pinterest so that I can share it with my cousin who runs a preschool. Her students will love these too!

4. Pat Becker says:

The piano heading your way will need a tuning so the boys will get to meet a piano tuner! Mom

5. Jess says:

Neat ideas! John Williams has created some awesome music! Yes, Sam has wanted to spend all his time with the piano tuner when he has come to tune the past two years. Apparently it’s fascinating.

6. I too am a piano teacher and mom of 3 kids whom I teach as well. What a fun idea! I’ll have to try some ideas with my piano students too.
    Caralee

7. Amanda says:

You are so creative & such a good mom – I know the kids must have loved piano week!

8. Natalie C. says:

As a former music teacher I am impressed! And I may just do the same when my daughter starts lessons in a few years. Very nice!

9. Rhonda Hunter says:

Well as their piano teacher …..THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! The boys did wonderful at their 2nd lesson this week! I wish all parents would show at least half of the interest in their kid’s lessons as you have shown!!!! What a great memory of their first week of piano lessons for them! They really did wonderful ! Did I give you my piano tuner’s name? He’s wonderful!!!! The kids would love him!

10. kath says:

that is so great! I love the ice cream/cake piano idea. really inspired.

kathryn

11. Jedda says:

Thanks for the treat idea! I can’t wait to make it with my kiddos. We make music everyday-great ideas!

12. maryanne says:

I LOVE your cake – so fun!!!

13. Just Jaime says:

Fun idea! I love the creativity!

14. ashley says:

ah i love this~~~ they are so cute, and im sure yummy!!!!

15. wow, that’s very well planned. i love it, it’s a great way to build the kids excitement. i have to say the kit kat dessert was my favorite!

16. Messy Missy says:

What a thoughtful, fun idea. Sometimes music lessons can be a hard sell, and you really made helped them to be excited about it! Love it. 🙂

17. Tamara says:

seriously you are AMAZING…MOM OF THE YEAR. the time and effort you put into every aspect of your children’s lives is beyond belief. your children are very lucky…

18. jami says:

What a clever way of getting the kids excited about piano lessons! (Wish my mom would have tried one or two of these ideas!!! :-)) Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami

19. What a great way to get them excited to start piano. Love all these ideas. I’m featuring you at this week’s Craftastic & Kids Can Craft party. Be sure to stop by & grab a Featured On button:)

20. Jen says:

This is so great! I am a piano teacher and love how excited you are getting your kids! I would love for you to come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party. http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com
    Thanks

21. This is an adorable idea! You are sooooo clever!