A Christmas Tradition & Holiday Books

One of my favorite family Christmas traditions occurs on Christmas Eve.

Every December 24th, usually in the afternoon, Santa’s elves deliver a holiday book (or two) and leave it at our door.

Once everyone has showered and put on pajamas we get into bed and read the book.

The kids love receiving the book and I’m pretty sure Santa loves giving it just as much.

Over the years we have built up quite a collection of holiday books.

Here’s a peek at some of our favorites:

The Berenstain Bears Christmas by Stan & Jan Berenstain

The Berenstain Bears’ Christmas Tree by Stan & Jan Berenstain

Santa Claus by Rod Green

This is an amazing book, just gorgeous illustrations and just magical for kids 5 – 10 yrs old.

Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonSanta’s Reindeer by Rod Green

Another unbelievable Christmas book. Tells all about Santa’s reindeer, where they sleep, how they fly, and more. This one will not disappoint.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

Cajun Night Before Christmas by “Trosclair”

Just a few lines of the beginning to give you the gist of this favorite of mine – lay on a thick french/country accent as you read it 🙂

‘Twas the night before Christmas

An’ all t’ru de house

Dey don’t a t’ing pass

Not even a mouse.

De chirren been nezzle

Good snug on de flo’

An’ Mama pass de pepper

T’ru de crack on de do’.

Do you have any family traditions or holiday books that are special to you?

Weekend Bloggy Reading

This entry was posted in books, christmas, family, parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to A Christmas Tradition & Holiday Books

1. Rhonda Hunter says:

What a fun tradition!!!! I love the Grinch, but my favorite from my childhood is the Night before Christmas, Illus. by Grandma Moses.

2. Mindy says:

Another genius idea. Love, love, love it!

3. Pat Becker says:

I love your tradition…I look forward to seeing what Santa brings this year…I loved the reindeer one…

4. What a fun idea to have the elves bring a book! I’ve never seen some of your picks. I must check them out!

5. Jessica says:

Fun idea! I’d love to have you link up to my party if you get a chance at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/12/anything-goes-linky-party_08.html. Thanks for sharing!

6. Kylie says:

Hi! I found you via Making the World Cuter. We read “Bear Stays Up” as well! We also read “The Night Before Christmas” as well. I have Mary Engelbreit’s book and we love the pictures. I love your book tradition. Thank you for sharing. I am new to the “linky party scene” but would love for you to link up to my new party, What I Made Monday. kyliejjenkins@aol.com

7. Shiloh says:

What a very fun family tradition! I love Bear Snores On. I didn’t know there was a Bear Stays Up. I might have to find that one.:)

8. Suzy says:

LOVE this tradition. Visiting from The Mustard Ceiling. Thanks for sharing.

9. Ha ha ~ we have the Cajun Night Before Christmas, too! What a sweet tradition… enjoy!
    Visiting from The Mustard Ceiling’s link up. 🙂

10. Jennifer, what a fun tradition! I love the idea of the elves leaving a package at the door on Christmas Eve. I know your children can’t wait to see what they bring each year. I love the idea of reading together on Christmas Eve too.

Thank you for sharing. Happy Holiday’s to you and your family.

11. I love little traditions like this- the children will remember it fondly. Thanks for the list of book ideas- I grew up with the Berenstein Bears and must admit that they are still are favourite.
    Lou

12. Just looked the at the Bingo game too- this is a great idea!
    Lou

13. Lori says:

Great selection, even a few I haven’t picked up yet. Thanks! I’m a new follower. Stop by and enter to win my Heirloom ornament….only 1 day left to enter. Warm wishes

14. I love this tradition! I think I may be stealing it . . .

15. Virginia says:

What a wonderful tradition! I’m going to file this away until the day I have grandchildren.

16. Alyssa says:

Love this tradition!

17. lol, i had to read that extra slowly, especially that last line…what a great tradition to have!

18. Melanie says:

This is an awesome tradition! Featuring it on Faceook! https://www.facebook.com/bearrabbitbear

Thanks for linking to Things I’ve Done Thursday!

Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

19. Carlee says:

What a FUN holiday tradition! My favorite Christmas book is Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado, it is a beautiful book! I also like the book A Christmas Prayer, by Rian Anderson… I know his children personally, and it is a really sweet book! My kids also love Mooseltoe! Thanks for sharing your fun tradition, I really want to read the Cajun night before Christmas!

Thanks for showing off!

20. caralyn says:

wow. Those Rod Green books look AMAZING! And I love this tradition!!! We may just have to adopt this one for our own…

21. How fun–and the cajun one does look fantastic 🙂

22. Angie says:

I love this idea! Our family loves books and any excuse to add to our collection is fine by me! Think we will start this tradition as well. Thanks so much for sharing!

23. Breena says:

What a fun tradition! I’m new to your blog today and love it! I’d love for you to link up at my “Life is About… blog hop” going on now!

Blessings,
    Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com
    (p.s. – I’m your new GFC follower)!

24. Breena says:

Thanks so much for linking up at “Life as this Mommy knows It”!

Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com
    p.s. – don’t forget to grab my button, showing others you’re linking up 😉

25. What a great tradition!

26. andiejaye says:

we love all the Bear books!!! thanks for linking this up at last week’s tip-toe thru tuesday party!