***I am reposting this from 2 years ago – the only change I will be making for this years advent calendar will be at the end of this post***and sadly, I have to report that there was no big Powerball win for us last night – here’s to hoping no one won!
Last year the kids and I made a paper bag Christmas tree which they partially decorated using markers. Here’s the way our advent tree works.
On December 1 they receive a paper ornament which states something we will be doing, watching, or making that deals with Christmas.
One of the boys gets to glue it onto our tree. The next day the other one gets to glue it on.
On certain days they receive their ornament before school while other days they receive their ornament after school (it depends if I have my act together or not). Here’s a picture of the finished project.
There is a small part of me that cringes when these are glued onto the tree every which way. I do have to tell myself that having symmetry in this craft is not the purpose. But oh how I sometimes try to make suggestions of where the ornament could be placed.
This year I’ve made a tentative list of activities for our family. Some will change based on schedules and weather but it’s a start:
- Wed Dec 1 – Watch The Grinch
- Thurs Dec 2 – Make Christmas cards for grandparents
- Fri Dec 3 – Choose Angels from Angel tree
- Sat Dec 4- Andrew’s Christmas program
- Sun Dec 5-Shop for Angels
- Mon Dec 6 – Have hot chocolate & marshmallows
- Tues Dec 7 – Watch Frosty’s Winter Wonderland
- Wed Dec 8 – Turn in Angel gifts & get cookie at mall
- Thurs Dec 9 – Watch Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- Fri Dec 10- get tree?
- Sat Dec 11-Photo with Santa at school
- Sun Dec 12-make snow globes
- Mon Dec 13-Assign & Hang Stockings
- Tues Dec 14-drive around and look at lights
- Wed Dec 15-?
- Thurs Dec 16- Andrew’s school Christmas party
- Fri Dec 17-Alex’s school Christmas party
- Sat Dec 18-Frisco downtown – Santa parachutes in?
- Sun Dec 19-wrap some presents
- Mon Dec 20-Go see Northpark train display?
- Tues Dec 21-Make Christmas cookies
- Wed Dec 22-Aunt Amanda, Uncle Ryan, and Gramma & Grampa arrive
- Thurs Dec 23-Aunt Kelly & Uncle Ben arrive
- Fri Dec 24-go to ICE! display in Grapevine
- Sat Dec 25 – Christmas
***Changes this year – Now 3 children will be placing ornaments on the tree *** Our activities each day has changed *** I am using large brown craft paper that I also use to wrap gifts in***
Do you have any unique ways your family celebrates the holidays?